Did you know for every $1 invested in food waste reduction in hotels, there is a $7 return over a 3-year period?*
In 2017, the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) and the American Hotel and Lodging Association (AHLA) partnered to identify best practices and strategies for reducing food waste at 10 pilot projects. Based on the results, they launched HOTEL|KITCHEN, a free toolkit, training materials, and resources you can find at www.hotelkitchen.org
In 2018, WWF chose Baltimore, Maryland as one of two US cities with dedicated HOTEL|KITCHEN expansion activities.
Astrapto, along with Plisko Sustainable Solutions, LLC, are managing the Baltimore project and offering the Baltimore hospitality community the following benefits:
Training Workshop and Vendor Fair
Area hotels and other foodservice operators are invited to attend a workshop in Downtown Baltimore on July 11th from 1 to 5pm.
This workshop is offered with the generous support of the Baltimore Convention Center and their catering partner, Centerplate.
The Baltimore Convention Center is the premier location for conventions, tradeshows and expositions in the Mid-Atlantic Region. The team at the convention center and their catering partner, Centerplate, have enthusiastically embraced the food waste reduction strategies and best practices presented in the HOTEL|KITCHEN toolkit. They are excited to host this valuable workshop and spread a culture of food conservation in the Baltimore hospitality community.
In this workshop, you will learn best practices for reducing food waste at each stage of the flow of food. Topics include how to:
- Build interest in food conservation at your workplace
- Set goals and measure food waste to improve the bottom line
- Create and sell sustainable menus
- Conduct food waste audits
- Donate excess food using technology platforms
- Setup composting programs
- Select diversion (from landfill) solutions
If you are involved in any aspect of hospitality foodservice, this workshop is for you - whether you sell it, order it, handle it, prepare it, serve it, or dispose of it, you can contribute to food waste reduction.
To learn more and register go to https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hotelkitchen-reducing-food-waste-in-baltimores-hospitality-industry-tickets-45699311872
Check back for a list of exhibiting vendors.
Complementary Implementation Support for Hotels
Why implementation support? Because we rarely speak to a chef that does not want to reduce food waste, but rarely do we find a kitchen that has established a baseline, conducted an audit, or trained staff. And this goes beyond the kitchen! Food waste reduction is also the responsibility of sales and events teams, the marketing department, banquets managers, stewards, procurement, and more.
With so many options for prevention, recovery, and diversion, we want help hotels set achievable goals and provide the knowledge and process for a few key initiatives that will impact the triple bottom line - people, planet, and profit!
Why FREE? Because moving the needle on food waste in Baltimore is a priority and we want to remove as many barriers as possible to demonstrate the practical techniques and solutions for tackling waste in hotel foodservice.
What type of support is offered? All hotels selected will receive a food waste audit. This is essential to establishing the baseline and the business case, and identifying the 'low hanging fruit' of food waste.
Other services may include:
- Train kitchen staff on awareness, reduction best practices, storage and inventory management, donation and diversion procedures
- Train banquet/FOH staff on awareness, buffet and banquet design, diversion procedures
- Train sales & marketing, and other staff (HR, finance, etc.) on awareness, food waste messaging in the sales and planning process, and generating demand for sustainable menus and options
- Create a sustainability or food waste taskforce or work with the existing green team to integrate food waste reduction
- Design workshop for creating sustainable menus and banquets
- Set up donation partnerships and train staff on the legal protections of The Good Samaritan Act and donation best practices
Who gets this free implementation service? We will select a few Baltimore area hotels to receive support services. To apply, fill out this brief survey by June 15, 2018: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/HotelKitchenBaltimore
*Source: Champions 12.3 Report found at https://champions123.org/the-business-case-for-reducing-food-loss-and-waste/